Thursday, October 21, 2010

Reading Plan

Being and Nothingness, Jean-Paul Sartre
"Its revolutionary approach challenged all previous assumptions about the individual's relationship with the world... challenging the reader to confront the fundamental dilemmas of human freedom, responsibility and action."
I have never heard of this book or author before, meaning I have no idea where I would obtain this text from. In the event no local library or store carries it, I will rely on Barnes and Noble to at least order it (if possible).

Meditations on First Philosophy: In Which the Existence of God and the Distinction of the Soul from the Body Are Demonstrated, Descartes (Donald A. Cress-translator)
"Many other matters respecting the attributes of God and my own nature or mind remain for consideration... Now... my principle task is to endeavour to emerge from the state of doubt into which I have these last days fallen, and to see whether nothing certain can be known regarding material things."
Again, to rely on book purveyors is most likely required if I am to obtain this/these books.

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions, Edwin Abbott Abbott
"Part geometry lesson, part social satire, this classic work of science fiction brilliantly succeeds in enlarging all readers' dimensional prejudices... This new edition of Flatland illuminates the social and intellectual context that produced the work as well as the timeless questions that it raises about the limits of our perception and knowledge."
As the other two books, research must be conducted as to how to obtain the book and then be acted upon.

The standard fiction has begun to bore me. The modern nonfiction never interested me. Only so many "classics" exist - 1984, Farenheit 451, I, Robot, Of Mice and Men, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the works of H.G. Wells and Robert Louis Stevenson, etc. - therefore, new parameters for reading must be crafted for the prevention of reading becoming monotonous. Philosophy has always interested me and the books I have listed prior to this paragraph seem to be written on subjects I wish to learn more about.

1 comment:

  1. Wow--this is an ambitious list. These are some of the great philosopher thinkers. I wish I had some these titles. I'm hoping you've secured at least one title and have begun reading! You might try Lyon College or UACCB library. I know they have these, and, I think you can get a library card to both--a good resource!

    ReplyDelete